What To Do When You've Been Diagnosed
- Don't panic, you have time to make a good decision about your treatment options
- Give us a call and we will put you in touch with someone who has just been through what you are facing
- Ask us for a free Reef Knot Kit to help you on your journey
- Visit a local support group to get more information on what is ahead and all the decisions you may need to make
Visit www.ifiweretom.com to learn more about a prostate cancer survivor’s journey through this interactive site that will answer questions.
Causes & Symptoms
The cause of Prostate Cancer is not known but research suggests genetics, high-fat diet and lack of exercise may play a role (The growth of cancer cells is stimulated by male hormones).
Symptoms are usually unrecognizable, which is why yearly checkups after the age of 40 is advised.
Early Detection & Prevention
- Digital Rectal Examination (DRE) by a trained health professional
- Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) Test
- To confirm the presence of cancer a biopsy is necessary
Tips for Prevention
- Regular exercise
- Stress management
- Healthy diet
- Regular annual check-up (including a DRE and PSA)
- "Watchful Waiting = Active Surveillance"
- Hormone treatment
Questions to Ask Your Physician
- Is my cancer confined to the prostate?
- What treatment is recommended for me?
- What are the side effects of this treatment?
- What are the chances of incontinence or impotence resulting from this treatment?
- What are the advantages/disadvantages of other treatments?